The hooded sweatshirt, or hoodie as it is popularly known, is not considered a classic piece of clothing by many in the fashion world. However, it has all the characteristics to be one; it has historical lineage, is truly versatile in the sense that you can see it everywhere, from streetwear to the high street, and has links with counter-culture movements. People favour vintage hoodies because they are functional and comfortable. And most of all, it is a universal favourite!
Read on to learn about the history of this iconic garment so you can adorn it proudly the next time you raid your wardrobe for something cozy and special!
How It All Began for Vintage Hoodies
You can trace back the origins of vintage hoodies in the USA, which were developed for workers to tackle freezing temperatures. The Knickerbocker Knitting Company manufactured it commercially. They were initially added to sweatshirts as additional protection compared to today’s standalone garments. This gave birth to the ‘after hoods,’ a crewneck with a hood sewn around the neck.
Further, hoodies became quite popular in the field of athletics because of their functionality and simplicity. In addition, even military personnel used them as training garments as they offered comfort, flexibility, and warmth.
Hooded sweatshirts mainly gained popularity in the 1950s and 60s as sportswear on college campuses, gyms, and athletic fields. People started wearing them as casual garments only in the 1970s. And today, it is an all-time favourite streetwear!
Pivotal Moments for Vintage Hoodies
Here are a few pivotal moments in the history of hooded sweatshirts:
Rocky Balboa’s Attire
The first was when Sylvester Stallone played Philly’s favourite hero, Rocky Balboa. The outfit he wore for his heavyweight championship training comprising a grey cotton hoodie, is iconic.
Hip Hop Culture
Hip-hop was born in the 1970s and took the world by storm. This brought hoodies to the limelight, giving them a whole new meaning.
When skateboarding became immensely popular in every town across America, it further boosted baggy hooded sweatshirts’ popularity.
Graffiti Artists’ Go-To Attire
Vintage hoodies were a massive hit among graffiti artists. They found it cool and convenient.
All these moments contributed to making vintage hooded sweatshirts a wardrobe staple and ensured the term “hoodie” had a place in the fashion dictionary.
A Modern Wardrobe Staple
Even today, retro hoodies remain a popular choice of garment, especially among college students, athletes, and cultural pioneers. It is often seen on the likes of Travis Scott and Rihanna and preferred on the catwalks of Paris.
With securing a place in every wardrobe worldwide, vintage hoodies have come far from their humble beginnings. And you won't be wrong in thinking they are here to stay!
How to Style Vintage Hoodies
Styling Tips for Women
- Put on an oversized vintage hoodie over a T-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans, black leggings, or bike shorts for a chic outfit.
- For a monochromatic look, wear a pair of wide-leg trousers and your favourite hoodie in a similar colour.
- You can wear a long-sleeve hoodie over a T-shirt and tracks or joggers for a sporty look. Add a bomber or denim jacket for more warmth without compromising your style. Complete the outfit with a pair of athletic shoes.
- For a more polished look, you can opt for high-waisted jeans and a loose-fitting hoodie with sleek sneakers. You can also pair a mini skirt with a cropped vintage hoodie.
Styling Tips for Men
- A foolproof retro hoodie outfit idea is to pair it with slim-fit jeans and classic, sporty shoes in white or black.
- If you want total comfort, go for a cozy tracksuit, oversized hoodie and a pair of joggers with sporty shoes.
- Basketball shorts look awesome with a solid-shaded retro hoodie and sporty shoes.
- For a more stylish look, pair chino trousers with a long-sleeved hoodie and chic sneakers.
- For a business look, put on a black or dark-coloured hoodie with a sports coat and dark jeans.
Browse Through Our Timeless Vintage Hoodies in Canada
Black Market Clothings is a leading name for all things vintage in Canada. We have a carefully curated selection of garments for all the retro lovers out there. We offer the best pieces at great prices so that you can shop to your heart’s content without guilt!
If you are looking for vintage graphic hoodies, hooded sweatshirts for men or cozy hoodies for women, feel free to browse our collection and find what best suits you!